At J.P. Flooring, we understand that shopping for carpet can feel a lot like shopping for a new car. It can involve a significant financial investment, there are a TON of options available in a lot of colors from a lot of brands for all different tastes and styles. Then, you have to trust a salesperson's guidance. Our goal is to make carpet shopping enjoyable, informative and comfortable. We have years of experience and our knowledgeable staff will help identify your needs and how they correlate to the wide selection of carpet available. Shopping with us will provide peace-of-mind and confidence in your carpet choice.
Where to start when choosing carpet?
First, one of the best things you can do is stop into a showroom so you can physically feel carpet samples. Carpet can come in both natural and synthetic fibers. Fiber types can include:
- Silk: This type of carpet is the highest quality and offers many benefits such as stain resistance and crush resistance. Each strand of carpet is packed with hundreds of silk-like fibers to make it soft and durable. Check out Mohawk’s line of SmartStrand silk carpet for a high quality carpet.
- Nylon: This is a time tested fiber that offers stain and fade resistance, as well as the ability to bounce back after it has been bent. It’s suitable for most areas, including high-traffic areas.
- Polyester: This is also stain resistant, very soft and comfortable underfoot. It's also available in deep and vibrant colors. On the downside, polyester can be harder to clean, can shed, and is not as durable as a nylon. This fabric is great for low traffic areas such as bedrooms and in homes without children or pets. A cushy choice! Polyester fibers can also be called (PET).
- Olefin: This fiber is attractive and inexpensive. It resists fading and is strong, but not as resilient as nylon. It has a good stain, static and mildew resistance. This fiber is typically recommended for higher traffic but semi-clean areas such as family rooms or playrooms.
- Wool: This fiber is generally used in area rugs. It has the natural ability to resist staining and is very durable. It's also flame resistant, which makes it a good choice for any room.
What carpet styles are available?
Carpet can come in many different styles and weaves including looped or berber, textured, saxony (velvet or plush), frieze, or sculptured.
As mentioned above, carpet options can feel endless. Stop in and feel some of the samples we have from the brands you trust. Our staff would be happy to address any questions or concerns you might have about selecting the right carpet for your space. Contact us to set up a consultation today!